First Day In Art Class- "Painted Papers"

Image
Hi everyone!  It has been a while since I have written a blog post.  Since my last post: -I've bought a house. -Graduated from grad school. -Had a baby.  and as we all are--- currently surviving a pandemic.  But I am excited for the new school year, nonetheless. With the start of another school year comes the dread of creating a fun and engaging lesson for the first visit. I don't know about you, but I always have a hard time coming up with something interesting. This year I stuck with something simple yet fun.  I teach upper elementary, so each grade level did the exact same lesson-- Kwik Stix "Painted papers" using Analogous colors.  I always start my first visit to art with my rules and expecations video. Back when Bitmojis were a hit in the classroom, I made a video explaining the rules of the art room. Its only 5 minutes, keeps the kids' attention, and I don't have to say the same thing one million times--at two schools.  Next, we reviewed analogous color

Chris Uphues and Dasic Fernandez inspired Valentine's Day Project





Well, well, well! We made it through the year of January! At least it felt like a year to me. I hope your New Years Resolutions are still in effect and if not--hey we still have 11 more months!



 Valentine's Day is coming up and if your like me, you wait until the last minute to come up with a project. Thank goodness I've stayed loyal to one of my New Year's Resolutions-- Try to stay two steps ahead.






 I was introduced to the artist Chris Uphues (Instagram: @chrisuphues) by the wonderful Cassie Stephens and I LOVED his awesome work. The precious hearts that he paints are so unique and fun!


Source: https://chrisuphues.com/pages/commissions

I decided to pair this artist with another- Dasic Fernandez. If you haven't heard of him, check him out on Instagram @dasicfernandez. He paints beautiful drips of paint- and sometimes creates imagery with his drips!


Source: https://news.1xrun.com/dasic-fernandez-throws-down-on-the-dance-floor-in-paradise/

Both Chris and Dasic use tons of saturated colors and I thought they would pair nicely together. So I got to work and created these little guys.



 ... and needless to say I was in love. Simple, fun , and (best of all) can be done in little time!

DAY ONE

I started the lesson with a fun and colorful slideshow introducing the students to both of the artists. I have been working on spending LESS time blabbering and making more time for CREATING. I'm sharing my Slideshow with you! Merr' Chrimuh! :)

Slideshow- Chris Uphues and Dasic Fernandez


We began our project by tracing a heart in the center of a 9"x9" piece of paper. I had them trace because I knew some of my friends would have a hard time drawing big. You do whats best for your friends.

Next, we drew droopy lines in the background- like Dasic uses in some of his artwork.



The students were then asked to draw a facial expression on their hearts. (I reminded them that Chris Uphues always creates happy/silly hearts and to stay away from other expressions.)



I had handouts for my friends to use for facial expressions. Mine are similar to Cassie's- Check it out below if you'd like to use it.

Facial Expressions Sheet


DAY TWO 

We began to add color! We used oil pastesl (Crayola- Neon and Original) to color our paint drips. I encouraged good craftsmanship- stay inside the lines and work carefully.




After using oil pastels for the heart, we moved to the neon paint!

We used the Jack Richeson mini tempera flourescent paint trays.



I gave then teeny brushes to encourage them to stay inside the lines. .....and success. We had tons of fun.





HONEY. Can you BELIEVE ya girl has completed her Valentine's display BEFORE February. Thank ya, Jesus! Hope you all have an artsy fartsy "Valentimes" Day!



Follow me on Instagram @thebusybrushes to stay updated on my lessons! Buh-bye! :)


Comments

  1. This is AWESOME!!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much-- and no problem! I hope your students enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Article. Thanks for Sharing. I have written an article on
    What is Valentine? And History of valentine's Day.
    For those who are interested in Valentine's history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I'm going to do and tag you on Insta! Thank you so much for sharing this lesson and all it's components.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a nice piece of information with us.Artist Paint Brushes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic project! Thank you for the inspiration and resources!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you- always looking for a new interesting way to do Valentine's day art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this activity today (with colored pencils, and virtually)! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing the slides! My students (and I!) LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! The added resources were such a time saver. :) My group of kiddos are going to love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came across your blog and Instagram! You have a new follower! :) Love the heart lesson!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Blogs

S.T.E.A.M. Night- Pendulum Painting

First Day In Art Class- "Painted Papers"